It started last year when I was doing my first hair studio and it a great success. So this year for Barbie dolls 60th anniversary I decided to do something really special. I did a reroot with my version of the 60th anniversary Barbie doll. In my opinion the dolls offered are all a bit boring… not really exciting, nothing I’d like to buy. Boring somehow maybe. Since you know I love to do things myself I decided to do a very special Barbie doll. I wanted to do this project earlier this year but then I suddenly found a payable Talking Barbie and I started the repair series with my Talking Barbie. Then I realized that some of you thought I maybe had forgotten her but it was not the point. I’ve been busy working in the real world too. Youtube is not the only construction site I work at at the moment. When I had a little more time and two days off I decided to start with the hair style for my so called “Unicorn” Barbie since her reroot was very colorful. She has lots and lots of hair that was not as cooperative as I hoped it would be but you can see what I’ve done so far here
More videos about to come in the next weeks. She also needs a repaint. So stay tuned in and be curious since the repaint will be very different from the last one.
At the moment I try out new things. In the next weeks you can find me on Instagram. I created an account for my youtube channel Busy B from Germany. And I also found a ” Black Magic” outfit, one of my favorite outfits from the 1960s and a Francie head. So you will hear a lot from me and my new stuff in the future.
I’m back from my vacation and want to talk to you about a serious topic. Again I heard from a case of bad work. I can only warn you. When you want somebody to restore something for your collection, check at least twice. You can never be careful enough. The best advice I can give you is to inform yourself how things are done and then ask the concerning person questions how to do this or that. Then you might be able to check if he/she understands the work. When I’m asked for advice I always tell people that there is a risk when you restore something. You don’t know how things were stored from the owner. The material doesn’t tell from the first sight. Of course the material can change and you don’t know it. It’s always your risk when you restore something.
Concerning a reroot it looks like this…
If the restorer tells you that big holes in the head are normal, think about asking another person to do it.
In the last months I was lucky enough to find a body for one of my rerooted heads. I rerooted the head approx. 2 years ago. I know a long time…and I had almost forgotten my head. I did another reroot in the last months and then I found my project again. At first I was unsure what kind of body to use for my project. Finally I decided to use a Cool Colours Barbie body. Here’s the result. Hope you like.
Today I finished my Ooak project. In March I got a Kira/Marina head with a haircut. Somehow she was cute and I decided to restore her. The first step was to remove the hair and give her new hair. I decided for black and pink because I wanted to do a reroot in two colours. I wanted to do a very elegant hair style for her long hair and decided to do the “Arwen”-hairstyle with 9 strands that was not shown in LOTR(Lord of the Rings). Then she needed a new body. Her body was broken. During her hairstyling I was looking for a new body and by the end of May I finally found one. When she had a new body I was able to restyle her bangs. You need a body when you want a short pony.
When her hairstyle was finally finished I started to repaint the eyebrows. 50% of the colour was gone. So I repainted the brows and had to wait several weeks for stains that appeared in the repainting process. I used a cream to bleach them. They were gone last Thursday.
Yesterday I started the final styling of her bangs and finished it today. Then she got her jewelry, earrings and a ring.
I wanted to make her look like a mixture from 80s and 90s so that she reminded me of my childhood with the giant bangs. Now she’s ready for her great entrance.
And this is a pic of the head before I started to work.
The right head also got new hair in the meantime but this will be another Ooak project. I’m still looking for a new body. I’m going to show you more in my next post.
I haven’t posted very much in the last weeks. Now I’m going to change this. I wanted to show you one of my Superstar-Reroots. I did in 2012 I think. I ‘m a fan of red haired Barbie dolls but in 1977 there were no red haired Superstars and I wondered what she would look like. And here is my result.
I have chosen a color called “Oxided Julia” for my reroot that had pink streaks in the red hair. I don’t think it has anything in common with the Color Magic Hair that was used for Julia in the late 1960s but I saw that it tended to turn from black into a reddish tone. For the hair style I chose rope braids. They are easy but you have lots of possibilities to work with them. The dress is a Best Buy dress from the late 1970s. I saw it and I thought it would match perfectly.